Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pencil work


I was doing my regular, non-art, job yesterday and had a strange idea for a mash up illustration. With Star Wars Weekends dominating Disney's Hollywood Studios lately, I felt the need to pump a little alternative sci-fi into my life. Also, I found the amazing work of Greg McCullough recently. He does these rich and colorful oil paintings of Disney characters, including a very cute Minnie Mouse as Princess Leia in Jabba's palace. Out of all the character prints that are available, McCullough's work are among the best...and Muppet stuff is among the worst. Sad face. Anyway, my hope is to elevate the quality of Muppet imagery and tap into the possibilities.

Since my blog is theoretically about the process, here's step one: Pencils. I started sketching without any real thought aside from including Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo. Because of Gonzo's penchant for bowties and silly hats, he became my choice for the 11th Doctor, portrayed by Matt Smith. Kermit is a good fit for David Tennant's 10th Doctor; slim, looks good in a suit, and Fozzie ended up as Doctor #6, a la Colin Baker, because the cravat is a perfect match!

More will follow as I render the characters in watercolor. Keep checking in. It won't take so long this time!

No comments: