Friday, November 25, 2011

CMYK


Okay, I'll continue discussing the leprechaun illustration a little more. As I've mentioned, I want to start getting shirts printed by some of the online one-a-day t-shirt shops, like RIPT, Woot, or Threadless. While some of them are capable of elaborate direct-to-garment printing, others employ traditional screens, limiting the number of colors that can be used. Of course, if one understands how to utilize CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black), a fairly wide range of colors can be produced. It looks like the classic comic book color. All I did was separate the art into four separate channels and then transform each channel into a half-tone bitmap. Once they were realigned, I brought back the original ink art because the image looked too vague. A couple of tweaks later and voila! A new shirt design. One thing to note: if this is printed, it needs to be on a white shirt or have a white base to print over as any color will greatly affect the look of the image. Some companies can manage 5 screens, others cannot.
I do hope you enjoy the design and I will surely let everyone know if and when the shirt is made available.

No comments: